This Renting vs Buying Calculator calculator helps explore the potential benefit of either renting or buying a property over time and decide whether it's better to buy or rent a home based on inputs you enter and assumptions.
Renting vs Buying Calculator Calculator Assumptions
- All results are shown in future dollars and not adjusted for inflation. If you need to consider any inflationary effects, you can reduce the savings & investment return and the home appreciation.
- This calculator does not take into account the tax implications of buying and renting a property and return on any savings or investment.
- Savings/investment return, Rent increase, Ongoing cost increase, Home appreciation are calculated yearly, hence they are compounding yearly.
- In the home loan scenario, it is assumed that the repayments include both principal and interest. The repayments and interest are calculated by compounding monthly.
- In the renting scenario, it is assumed that a year consists of 26 fortnights or 52 weeks which is counted as 364 days rather than 365 or 366 days.
This Renting vs Buying Calculator has been provided in good faith as a guidance tool only. Results are not financial advice, are a guide only, and are not a guaranteed outcome or quote. You should always discuss your individual situation with an Australian Credit Licensee or Authorised Credit Representative.
Want to talk more about your home loan options?
If yes, then please get in touch with me today and I'll be happy to help. All my home loan and mortgage services (from the initial meeting, right through to home loan settlement) are completely free to you.